*TreadmillReviewGuru helps consumers find the best home fitness products. When you buy a product we recommend, we may earn a commission.
Last Updated: January 3, 2023
Adjustable dumbbells are some of my favorite home gym equipment. If you’re like me, you might not have space for a complete dumbbell set and rack for your home. That’s where adjustable dumbbells come in. They let you lift a variety of weights, while not taking up much space. Many also come in various weight sizes so you can customize them to work for you and your strength goals. Below we’ve included our top picks for the best adjustable dumbbells that we recommend. We’ll give you an overview of each so you can determine which pair is right for you.
Why You Should Trust Us
We work out a lot here at Treadmill Review Guru. Sure, we run on a lot of treadmills and love cardio, but strength training is just as important. Our team of reviewers consists of certified personal trainers and fitness experts who value health and exercise. We love how accessible adjustable dumbbells make weight lifting. Many of our reviewers use them regularly, so we’re excited to share our favorites with you.
Our Expert’s Picks For Best Adjustable Dumbbells For 2023
- PowerBlock Pro Series Adjustable Dumbbells
- BowFlex SelectTech 552 Dumbbells
- NordicTrack iSelect Voice-Controlled Dumbbells
- NuoBell 80 lb Classic Adjustable Dumbbells
- Core Home Fitness Adjustable Dumbbell Set
- Rogue Loadable Dumbbells
Sneak Peak of the Best Adjustable Dumbbells:
The Best Adjustable Dumbbells for 2023
1. PowerBlock Pro Series Adjustable Dumbbells
The PowerBlock Pro Series is our best adjustable dumbbell pick. While they don’t look like your typical dumbbell, they save a lot of space. In fact, PowerBlock claims that they replace up to 28 pairs of dumbbells. The PowerBlock Pro Series allows you to lift up to 50 lbs per hand and can be expanded to 70 and 90 lbs with add-on kits. This way as you get stronger, you have the option of purchasing the add-ons, so the dumbbells can keep challenging you. They can also be adjusted in small 2.5 lb increments, so you can customize the weights to work for you.
The PowerBlock Pro Series adjustable dumbbells are quick and easy to adjust. There is a selector pin that has magnets inside that are used to change the weight and also keep the weight in place while you’re using the Pro Series. We’re impressed that the pin is small, yet rated for a maximum load of 500 lbs. The weight plates are also color-coded for quick adjusting, too.
Although the handles are encased in cages that aren’t everyone’s favorite, they let you lift a large amount of weight while taking up minimal space. The handle is rubber and contoured to allow for a nice range of motion when performing exercises. The weight stacks are urethane-coated steel plates that make the PowerBlock Pro Series feel stable and durable. These dumbbells are widely used, so they’ve been proven to be an excellent option for adjustable dumbbells for the home.
- Allows you to lift up to 50 lbs, and up to 70 and 90 lbs with additional kits.
- They’re common and proven to be durable.
- The selector pin to change the weight plates is solid and rated for up to 500 lbs, which indicates a really stable design.
- They can be adjusted by 2.5 lb increments so you can customize them to work for your training goals.
- Your hands must go in the cages to use the dumbbells, making them not ideal for users with larger hands.
- They feel different than traditional dumbbells to use and might take some getting used to.
- The base set includes weights ranging from 5-50 lbs per dumbbell
- Additional kits can be purchased to lift up to 70 and 90 lbs per dumbbell
- Replaces 28 pairs of dumbbells
- Color Coded weight bands for quick adjusting
- Additional accessories like a straight bar and rack stand sold separately
- Footprint: 12.5” L x 7” W x 7.25” H (50 lbs)
- Black Urethane molded over steel plates
- Contoured TPR/1.5” diameter rubber grip handle
- Auto-lock handle
- Adjusts in 2.5 lb and 5 lb increments
- Warranty: 5-year limited for home use
2. BowFlex SelectTech 552 Dumbbells
Our runner-up pick for best adjustable dumbbells is the BowFlex SelectTech 552. These are a nice value buy. They give you the choice to lift from 5 lbs up to 52.5 lbs. The SelectTech 552 replaces 15 sets of dumbbells, so they are excellent if you’re looking to use a wide range of weights for the fraction of the space an entire weight rack takes up. They can be adjusted by 2.5 lb increments up to 25 lbs and then adjust by 5 lbs after that. This way you can select a more specific weight amount to train with.
The SelectTech 552 look like regular dumbbells, so they might resonate with some users better than the PowerBlock Pro Series, which has a completely different design. They are however a little bit bulkier than a regular pair of dumbbells, especially when you use them at a lower weight. Considering they let you lift just over 50 lbs though, makes them very functional and overall really space-saving.
The BowFlex SelectTech 552 Dumbbells use a dial to select and change the weight. This makes adjusting them very quick and incredibly intuitive. Each dumbbell sits in a storage tray and the handle snaps in and out of place once you adjust the weight. This keeps the weight plates ready to use and tidy. These trays also allow you to move the SelectTech 552 dumbbells around if needed.
The SelectTech 552 adjustable dumbbells come with a free year’s membership to JRNY. JRNY is a fitness subscription that lets you take instructor-led workouts that are designed for using these dumbbells. You stream the app from your own device and get guidance when using the SelectTech dumbbells. This is nice if you’re a beginner wanting to learn how to perform specific exercises.
- They look and function like regular dumbbells but let you use weights ranging from 5 to 52.5 lbs.
- The selection dials are quick and easy to use, so you can change the weight efficiently.
- They come with a free year of JRNY to take guided workouts designed exclusively for using these dumbbells.
- The storage tray lets you store the dumbbells and added weights in a small, neat space, and this is also where you change the weight. They’re compact and functional.
- They may break if dropped and have a lot of plastic built into the construction.
- They can be hard to get a grip on because of the oval shape and lack of knurling.
- Includes 5 to 52.5 lbs of weight in each dumbbell
- Comes with a free year of JRNY to take guided workouts
- Replaces 15 sets of dumbbells
- Selection dials are numbered so they’re easy and quick to use
- Additional accessories sold separately
- Footprint: 16.9” L x 8.3” W x 9” H
- Constructed out of steel, nylon, ABS plastic, and thermoplastic rubber
- Metal with rubber coating handle
- Adjusts in 2.5 lb (up to 25 lbs) and 5 lb (25-50 lbs) increments
- Warranty: Standard 2-year parts warranty included (longer warranties available at additional prices)
3. NordicTrack iSelect Voice-Controlled Adjustable Dumbbells
The NordicTrack iSelect Voice-Controlled Dumbbells are our high-tech option. And let me say, the built-in tech is not only impressive but quite handy. That’s right these adjustable dumbbells can be adjusted by using your voice. When you use an Amazon Alexa-enabled device, you can connect the iSelect dumbbells and then say, “Alexa. Change my dumbbells to 35 lbs”. Alexa will then change the dumbbells to 35 lbs. You can also say something like, “Alexa, change my weights for squats”. When you use the iSelect app you can customize your weights based on exercises and then tell Alexa to adjust based on the preselected weight for a movement.
Adjusting the iSelect Voice-Controlled Dumbbells is also really fast and simple to do yourself if you don’t have Alexa, or if you prefer waiting just one second rather than a few for Alexa. They adjust digitally rather than manually like the other dumbbells on this list. Once the weights are placed in the tray, you can turn the dial and pretty instantly change the weight. Like I said it takes about a second. The small LCD screen displays the current weight so you can clearly know what weight you’re at.
Not only does the tray store the dumbbells and serve as a place to digitally adjust the weights, but it also has a device holder for streaming guided workouts, too. You can place your phone or tablet on the rack and stream from thousands of trainer-led workouts on iFit, which comes with a free 30-day trial when purchasing these NordicTrack dumbbells. iFit offers a multitude of workouts for you to train with and without your dumbbells. You can also stream from other platforms like Peloton, too.
- They adjust digitally for you to lift between 5 and 50 lbs with each dumbbell. They are also enabled to sync with Amazon’s Alexa to be adjusted by using your voice.
- The tray stores and adjusts the dumbbells and has a built-in device holder to stream iFit and other workout content from your phone/tablet.
- They adjust to smaller sizes when lifting smaller weights, to make them feel less bulky and easier to use.
- The weights can be changed in 5 lb increments.
- You must wait for the dumbbells to be fully adjusted otherwise some of the plates might not be locked in and could fall off when you remove the dumbbells from the tray, which requires you to readjust the dumbbells.
- They require being plugged in to use.
- Includes 5 to 50 lbs of weight in each dumbbell
- Comes with a free month of iFit for training options
- Changes the weight with a dial or by voice through Amazon Alexa
- Digital weight readout is fast and easy
- Integrated storage tray with tablet holder
- 185 mm x 185 mm ergonomic square weight plates
- Safety interlock
- Knurled, non-slip handles
- Adjusts digitally in 5 lb increments
- Warranty: 1-year parts and labor warranty
4. Nuobell 80 lb Classic Adjustable Dumbbells
The Nuobell 80 lb Classic is a sleek pair of dumbbells that let you lift up to 80 lbs of weight, in each hand. The minimum weight is 5 lbs and can be adjusted by 5 lbs up to the max 80 lbs. We are impressed by how much weight they let you train with such a space-saving design. The Nuobells replace 16 pairs of dumbbells, so you can have a lot more room in your home gym, but can still lift a lot of different weights.
The weight plates are steel and have a classic look. The handles are also pretty traditional as it’s knurled steel to offer a good grip. The handles twist in order to adjust the weight. The dial reads the weight and is intuitive to use because of the “-” and “+” signs that indicate which direction to twist to add or subtract weight. This lets you adjust the Nuobells seamlessly as well as very quickly. We also like that their size corresponds to the amount of weight. This way if you’re using a small weight, the size of the dumbbells is smaller than when you’re using them at 60 lbs.
The Nuobell 80 lb Classic dumbbells are also easy to use because of the functional design. They look like traditional weights and let you perform exercises like you would with regular dumbbells.
- They look similar to regular dumbbells but let you lift up to 80 lbs of weight in each dumbbell.
- Adjusting the weight sizes is very fast and easy.
- The cradles or trays that hold the dumbbells are portable so you can take them to work out in different spaces.
- They function like traditional weights so you can use them for all kinds of free-weight exercises.
- They are relatively new and haven’t been tested to determine how durable the construction is.
- They’re a higher-priced option, compared to other adjustable dumbbells on this list.
- Comes with 5 to 80 lbs of weight in each dumbbell
- Includes portable cradles for each dumbbell
- Replaces 16 pairs of dumbbells
- Handles twist and a dial reads the current weight for quick adjusting
- A raised stand is sold separately
- Footprint: 17” L x 7.5” W x 7.5” H
- Construction: Steel and plastic
- Knurled steel handles
- Adjusts in 5 lb increments
- Warranty: 2-year manufacture warranty (additional warranties available at additional prices)
5. Core Home Fitness Adjustable Dumbbell Set
Core Home Fitness Adjustable Dumbbell Set is a classic design with quick adjustability. It’s similar to the Nuobell dumbbells because they adjust the same (with a twist of the handles) and have the look of traditional dumbbells. The Core Home Fitness Adjustable Dumbbells also function like typical weights, too. You’ll be able to do all kinds of workouts with this dumbbell set.
These dumbbells from Core Home Fitness adjust by 5 lb increments from 5 to 50 lbs. They have a compact design that replaces 20 individual dumbbells. We appreciate that they adjust in size as well. So, when you’re using the lightest weight, the dumbbells are the smallest and then they grow as you increase the weight amount. This makes them a bit more user-friendly.
This adjustable dumbbell set is straightforward and comes with aluminum cradles for each weight when you’re not using them. This is also where you can adjust the weight of each dumbbell, easily.
- They’re compact and come with 5 to 50 lbs of weight in each dumbbell.
- They change in size depending on the weight you have loaded.
- Adjusting is very fast and easy with just a quick twist of the handle.
- You can use the plates individually for other workouts, too.
- The handles aren’t our favorite because they’re rubber and have a minimal texture for gripping.
- The cradles are required in order to change the weights.
- Includes 5 to 50 lbs of weight per dumbbell
- Included aluminum weight cradles for adjusting and storage
- Replaces 10 pairs of dumbbells
- Handles twist to adjust weight
- Compatible with the Core Fitness Dumbbell Stand (sold separately)
- Footprint: 14.5” L x 7.9” W x 7.5” H
- Compact design
- Rubber contoured handles
- Adjusts in 5 lb increments
- Warranty: 2-year for parts
6. Rogue Loadable Dumbbells Set
The Rogue Loadable Dumbbells are your a la carte option for adjustable dumbbells. These dumbbells let you choose which size and how much weight you want for each dumbbell. The Rogue Loadable Dumbbells come in two different sizes: DB-10 and DB-15. The DB-10s are shorter in length than the DB-15s, therefore they provide less space to load with weight.
They’re essentially Rogue’s barbells in a small compact, dumbbell size. The Loadable Dumbbells are compatible to use with bumper plates, so you can literally customize them to hold almost any amount of weight (well up to about 350 lbs on the DB-15s). This is perfect for advanced weight lifters and those who have standard Olympic plates and dumbbell bumpers. If you don’t have plates, then you can buy your own at Rogue too. Be aware that the Loadable Dumbbells are sold individually and don’t include weight plates.
It seems that Rogue put a lot of innovation and time into these Loadable Dumbbells. They have knurled handles that are mini-versions of their tried and true barbells, so they have an excellent texture for gripping. They also come in two finishes: stainless steel and black zinc. Rogue also suggests using a set of collars to secure the weight plates, and we strongly recommend this as well.
- Customize how much weight you want to lift with two different sizes that are compatible with a variety of common weight plates.
- The larger DB-15 dumbbells are said to have a load capacity of up to 350 lbs for serious lifting.
- The handle is fully knurled to help keep them from slipping in your hands.
- They come with an impressive lifetime warranty.
- They are sold individually instead of as a pair, and the weights are an additional cost as well.
- The weight plates can be bulky and take up a lot of extra space.
- Comes in two different sizes: DB-10 and DB-15
- Compatible with Standard Olympic Plates and/or Rogue Dumbbell Bumpers
- Can load up to 350 lbs on the DB-15s
- Comes in two finishes: stainless steel and black zinc
- Weight is sold separately
- Length: DB-10: 14.25” DB-15: 20.5”
- Loadable design
- Fully knurled handle
- Warranty: Lifetime
What To Look For When Purchasing Adjustable Dumbbells
It’s very important to make sure that the adjustable dumbbells come with appropriate weight options for you. You want something that will be suitable for lighter as well as a heavyweight. Since different muscles in your body are smaller and larger and stronger and weaker than others, it’s great to work out with a range of different weights. We also recommend looking for adjustable dumbbells that offer a heavier weight so they continue to work for you as you get stronger.
Most of the options on our best adjustable dumbbells list include a maximum weight of 50 lbs per dumbbell. When determining which pair is best for you, you want to be sure the maximum weight aligns with your fitness level and goals. This means that if 50 lbs feel light to you, you probably want to look for dumbbells with heavier weight options. 50 lbs are heavy for some people, but not heavy enough for others. That’s why we’ve tried to include a variety on our list above.
Considering adjustable dumbbells usually replace several individual weights, on average they tend to cost a few hundred dollars, at least. High-end dumbbells like the ones from Nuobell cost close to $800. With any purchase of equipment, you want to make sure that you find ones that fit within your budget, as well as fit your needs.
Other things to consider when looking for adjustable dumbbells are how durable they are, how easy they are to adjust, and how much space they take up.
First, most adjustable dumbbells shouldn’t be dropped. This can not only damage them but might cause damage to your floor as well. For some brands, this can even void the warranty if you were to drop them. The overall construction of the dumbbell can help determine how they’ll last with time. Are they made entirely of steel? Do they have plastic components? Poor build quality can shorten the life of your dumbbells.
Another factor to consider is what kind of mechanism do they use to adjust the weight? Are they adjustable digitally, which requires them to be plugged into an outlet? Do they require one or two hands to adjust? Depending on what kind of workouts you’re doing or even just your level of patience, you want dumbbells that are easy for you to adjust.
Finally, how much space do you have for the dumbbells versus how much space do they require? Most come in a compact size, but others like the Rogue Loadable Dumbbells require more space especially if you want to load them with a lot of weight plates.
Frequently Asked Questions
How heavy should dumbbells be?
How heavy dumbbells should be is going to be up to you and your strength level. Dumbbells can be used for a variety of exercises and you want to use a weight that challenges you but doesn’t make you sacrifice your form. Dumbbells can weigh anywhere from a pound to over 100 lbs with some weighing even more than that. While 10 to 20 lbs might be perfect for some, it might not be heavy enough, or too heavy, for others. It all depends on you and how strong you are, as well as your fitness goals when determining how heavy your dumbbells should be.
Can adjustable dumbbells fall off?
Most adjustable dumbbells have built-in safety features that keep the weights locked into place. Malfunctions and weights not staying locked in have been reported and in most cases, brands will recall the dumbbells if they have this problem.
This can also be a problem if you don’t use collars and properly clip the weight plates onto the dumbbell. This is only a concern when using adjustable dumbbells that come with what are like mini barbells that require weight plates, like the Rogue Loadable Dumbbells. When working correcting and with proper use, you shouldn’t have to worry about your dumbbell unlocking or falling off.
Are adjustable dumbbells a good idea?
Adjustable dumbbells are absolutely a good idea if you’re short on space and need a variety of weights to lift. They can be used to strengthen your entire body and when you select a pair that has heavier weight options, you can get more use out of them by adding on weight as you get stronger.
Since different muscle groups are stronger and weaker than others, adjustable dumbbells allow you to train all the muscles in your body by using an appropriate weight that corresponds to each of your muscle groups.
Can you drop adjustable dumbbells?
Be aware that most adjustable dumbbells shouldn’t be dropped. Many brands caution against dropping their dumbbells. Many dumbbells, like the majority on this list, have built-in locking mechanisms and even technology that could be damaged if you were to drop them. Also, with a large amount of weight, you might cause damage to your floor.