Chronic illness- just starting out

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to best approach starting a workout regimen, including a treadmill, when dealing with chronic illness.

I have 6+ chronic illnesses, all in various stages, but most cause a lot of joint, bone, and muscle pain.

I am hoping to build up some strength in my legs, some stamina, and to be able to walk longer distances than from the bed to the couch, and from the couch to the kitchen, without feeling like death.

I have lost 40 lbs since developing these chronic illnesses over the past year. Some muscle, mostly fat thankfully.

I would like to build my muscle back up and lose a little for fat thought!

all suggestions appreciated!

Hi, thanks for your question. When starting a workout regimen, we strongly encourage folks to consult with their healthcare provider prior to starting. There are some treadmills on the market that are great for walking and I would look into one with front and side handles, as well as soft cushioning. You might also want to look into stationary bikes like recumbent bikes. These offer a lower-impact activity than walking on a treadmill, which might be better for joint pain. Since you're wanting to build up strength in your legs, a stationary bike could help too, since they primarily work your legs. For starting out, definitely start slow and listen to your body. For using either type of machine, you don't want to overdo it. I would start with a length of time and pace that feels doable and then gradually work up from there. 

If you're interested in a treadmill or stationary bike, let us know and we can help suggest specific models.