*TreadmillReviewGuru helps consumers find the best home fitness products. When you buy a product we recommend, we may earn a commission.
Last Updated: May 11, 2023
The brand new NordicTrack S27i Studio Bike offers the same great ride experience as the s22i, but with a larger touchscreen, improved graphics, quieter incline motor, and more comfortable seat. Like its predecessor, the S27i features automated 20% incline and 10% decline with AutoAdjust, so you can ride hands-free. In this review, we will look at the new S27i to give you the scoop on all the new upgrades!
Why You Should Trust Us
The NordicTrack S27i is one of the newest exercise bikes out there and we’ve put it to the test. We’ve compared it against most of the other popular bikes on the market like the Peloton Bike+, NordicTrack S22i, Bowflex Velocore, and the ProForm Studio Bike Pro 22, along with others. The hours and miles we’ve put on this bike and the other best exercise bikes on the market give us a really good sense of how to recommend this bike.
Our NordicTrack S27i Studio Exercise Bike Review Video
- +20% Incline to -10% Decline that is automated in iFit
- The +20% incline to -10% decline is a revolutionary feature on a spin bike. A motor on the rear stabilizer and motorized arm under the pedal crank lift and tilt the bike to simulate outdoor grades.
- Silent Magnetic Resistance with 24 Digital Levels and Convenient Handlebar Controls
- The S27i has 24 levels of resistance. Specific resistance adjustments are nice on an indoor cycling bike. Many spin bikes have a tension knob, but no specific resistance settings, so you can’t regulate or measure the resistance. It is hugely beneficial to be able to select a specific resistance level on this bike. It translates into more accurate wattage stats and allows the rider to always find the same resistance at the same setting.
- 32 Pound Inertia-Enhanced flywheel for fluid wheel motion
- This feature regulates flywheel motion so the pedal stroke is smooth and uniform throughout the rotation. A break knob at the base of the handlebar stem will slow the flywheel manually. Press down to stop the flywheel at any time.
- 3 adjustment points to fit most size riders
- The seat can be adjusted forward or aft and the saddle stem can also move up and down..
- Handlebars can also be adjusted up or down
- All adjustment areas (seat post, carriage, and handlebar post) are clearly marked with orange inch measurements so you can find the right position each time.
- Touchscreen Controls for incline and resistance
- In addition to the QuickTouch controls on the extension grips, you can easily manipulate resistance and incline on the large 27” touchscreen. The QuickTouch controls only feature +/- and <,> buttons, so the screen display is nice for instant readout.
- Compact footprint doesn’t take up much space
- Indoor exercise equipment can be heavy and large. The NordicTrack S27i Studio Cycle is a fantastic machine with a remarkably small footprint. Standing just 57” long and 65” high, it provides great training options in a compact piece of equipment.
- Two fans are attached at the bottom of the screen
- The fan built into the screen on the S27i is a must-have for me! The fans produce good airflow and are situated at just the right height.
- Steel and Corrosion Resistant Frame
- Padded Ergonomic Saddle
- Footprint: 57″ Long x 28″ Wide x 65″ High
- Hybrid SPD and flat pedals
- 24 Digital Resistance Levels
- 350lb Max user weight
- 217lb bike weight
- Two 3-lb dumbbells included
- One Touch controls
- 27” High Def Touchscreen
- AutoAdjust technology for resistance and incline/decline
- Bluetooth headphone & HR connectivity
- Google Maps workout technology
- 30W Premium Audio
- Built in AutoBreeze Fan
- -10% decline to + 20% Incline
- Silent Magnetic Resistance
- OneTouch™ Controls on grip extensions
- Inertia-enhanced 32lb Flywheel
- Automated Incline & Decline Drive System
- Frame: 10-Year Warranty
- Parts: 2-Year Warranty
- Labor: 1-Year Warranty
In Depth Review of The NordicTrack S27i Studio Bike
iFit is included free for 30 days so new users can evaluate the program for themselves.
iFit includes Indoor Studio Rides & Outdoor Routes all over the world: This is where the S27i really shines. You can select a route in Bangladesh, London, or even just the mountains of Southern Utah. A trainer rides a bike ahead of you while another cyclist rides behind with a camera. You follow along from this perspective so you can see and hear what the trainer is doing. Again, incline and resistance is automated on the bike to match the terrain and grade of the ride.
Studio-Based Combo Classes: These include options where you ride for part of the time, get off the bike and do weights or plyometrics, and then ride again. They are filmed the same as the all-bike classes with other participants and background music.
Studio-Based Classes for off the bike: Other classes such as strength training, yoga, stretching, or even classes for pregnant mothers can be accessed through iFit and watched on your screen or from any computer or tablet for convenience.
Screen: 27” HD Touchscreen
Front-Facing Speakers: The new S27i includes 30 watt front-facing speakers on the base of the screen that direct volume toward the rider. This is an improvement over the s22i which had speakers on the back of the screen.
Tilt & Pivot Movement: The screen rotates side to side and pivots up and down so you can find the right height and angle.
Improved Resolution: The new S27i has an upgraded display with Android 9 OS system and HD graphics. We look forward to evaluating the size and graphics of this screen in the coming weeks!
Handlebars: Adjust up/down. Multiple grips
Design: The handlebars have a horizontal grip bar, tri-position resting loop, and grip bar extensions that angle up gently on either side. This allows users different options while using the S27i so they can find the most comfortable spot while riding.
Comfort: The handlebars are coated for comfort and moisture protection. The overall design and comfort of the handlebars facilitates good position while riding.
Weights: Two, 3 pound weights are included with the bike. These rest on a tray in between the handlebars and screen.
No Tablet holder or shelf for phone storage.
Water Bottle Holder: single cage on downtube.
Storage Cups: Two storage cups are positioned just underneath the handlebars. These will hold a moderate-sized water bottle or other accessories.
Construction Quality & Durability
The base, stabilizers and posts on the S27i are all steel.
3 Points of Adjustment enable proper bike fit. There are three adjustment points on the S27i to help different size riders find proper bike fit:
- Forward/Aft adjustment on the seat carriage moves the saddle forward and back.
- Up/Down adjustment via the stem post lifts and lowers the seat carriage.
- Up/Down adjustment in the handlebar post lifts the handlebars to the appropriate height.
- You can tilt the seat slightly up or down by loosening the bolt on the seat carriage. Retighten when you find the right angle. This adjustment requires a wrench.
Upgraded Saddle: Adjusts forward/aft and up/down
The upgraded saddle on the S27i is a nice addition and Nordictrack is advertising it as significantly more comfortable than the previous model. Our one caveat with the s22i is the seat was a bit uncomfortable. The seat is definitely upgraded compared to the original seat that came on the NordicTrack S22i bike. It’s still no the most comfortable seat out there, that’s something we wish NordicTrack would really try to fix, but it is a step in the right direction.
Upgraded SPD Hybrid Pedals
We are pleased to see upgraded pedals on the S27i Studio Bike. Previously NordicTrack only included toes cages attached to a flat pedal on their bikes. But they have now included a hybrid pedal that allows users to use one side of pedal with a toe cage or they can clip in with an SPD clip on the other side. This is a nice addition because we know a lot of cyclists out there like to use their shoes and clip in while riding. This allows riders to really push and pull while riding and get a more engaged workout on the bike, we are really impressed with this included feature.
Incline / Decline range
A motor on the rear stabilizer lifts and lowers the bike frame to simulate actual hills and descents. The new S27i features AutoAdjust so the bike will automatically change resistance and incline to match the displayed terrain.
Incline & Decline make the ride feel more realistic – especially the outdoor rides. Incline/Decline enhances calorie burn when combined with resistance because it makes the workout more challenging. You will get more metabolic stimulus in a shorter amount of time when incline is combined with resistance.
24 Resistance levels provide enough range on the S27i (but not too much). By the time you get to level 24, the magnetic resistance creates heavy push-back on the pedals. Magnetic resistance is a significant benefit because it is consistent and accurate, reduces noise, and doesn’t cause any friction or wear on moving parts.
Resistance can be adjusted on the QuickTouch control on the bar grip or on the touchscreen.
As with previous Nordictrack bikes, the S27i features magnetic resistance so it should be relatively silent when in use. The updated incline motor also reduces overall noise output making this a great option for those who need to ride quietly at home.