*TreadmillReviewGuru helps consumers find the best home fitness products. When you buy a product we recommend, we may earn a commission.
Last Updated: November 11, 2021
If you like to work hard and not waste time, Horizon’s EX-59 may be the elliptical machine for you. Their best-selling, frequently awarded front-drive elliptical sets up quickly, has controls that are a breeze to use, and is a durable machine to get you moving on your fitness journey.
Guaranteed to have you set up and working out in less than 30 minutes, the EX-59 and its effortless controls are designed to help you fulfill your goals starting today. Outfitted with technology that we’ve all come to appreciate, like Bluetooth speakers and a secure place to put your smartphone or tablet so you can get in the flow with your favorite entertainment.
An ergonomic “Six-Star” frame guides your body into the best position so you can move freely and safely, giving you a comfortable and efficient workout. With this spec review, we hope to provide you with the information you need to see if this elliptical is the right fit for you.
Who It’s For: People who want a no-nonsense low-impact fitness experience on a quality, reasonably priced elliptical.
The EX-59 Elliptical is designed for users who are:
- People looking to begin a fitness routine
- Those who like to bring their own technology to the workout experience
- Larger users looking for a low-impact workout and an easy-to-use machine.
- 18” stride works well for those with short strides.
- Frame- A non-folding ergonomic “SixStar” made of steel.
- Flywheel- The 14.3 Lb flywheel combined with the advanced pulley system gives the user a gentle, reliable motion.
- The distance between the pedals is closer to help reduce stress on ankles, knees, hips, and back.
- Stride length- The 18 inches stride length is more conducive for medium to smaller height users.
- Electrical requirements- A standard 110/220-volt outlet.
- Shipping dimensions- With some assembly required, the shipping dimensions are 52″ x 19″ x 30″
- Shipping weight- Boxed and shipped at 187lbs.
- Assembled dimensions- After a quick assembly, the EX-59 has a 74″x 25″ x 64.5″ footprint.
- Assembled weight- Total weight when set up for use is 145lbs.
- Maximum user weight- A 300lb maximum user weight accommodates most users.
- Pedals- Oversized for comfort and easy to mount at just over 10” from the ground.
- Resistance- No maintenance magnetic resistance with ten levels to choose from.
- Mounting height- A user-friendly 10 ¾ inches step-up height makes getting on the EX-59 a breeze.
- Use the onboard Bluetooth speakers to connect your device so you can stream your entertainment’s audio through the console.
- Tablet/phone holder with the rapid-charge USB port nearby makes onboard entertainment seamless.
- One quick set-up, 30 minutes or less from delivery to use.
- Ten one-touch keys make changing resistance quick and easy.
- Water bottle and double accessory holder make stowing a beverage and other small items convenient.
- Guarantee- Horizon brings some peace of mind with their 100% satisfaction guarantee. If not satisfied, you can return the elliptical within 30 days of purchase for a full refund.
- Frame- lifetime
- Brake- 1- year
- Parts- 1-year
- Labor- 1-year
Horizon EX-59 Elliptical Review
The console is the control center for the EX-59 elliptical. The tablet rack at the top of the console, combined with the adjacent rapid-charge USB port, allows you to keep your devices charged while you use them during your workout.
With the Bluetooth-enabled speakers, you can simply pair your device and stream your music or other entertainment right through the console.
The console features 3 LED display windows, making selected information easy to see. The display windows allow you to monitor time, distance, pedal rotations per minute (RPM), calories burned, heart rate, and resistance level.
Along the left and right sides of the console are numbered Quick Keys to reach desired resistance levels rapidly. In the center, you’ll see the program select buttons and the important start, stop and enter buttons.
This elliptical frame has what Horizon Fitness calls a“SixStar” design. It’s engineered with six features that make for comfortable motion:
- It helps you stay upright–instead of leaning forward
- Has narrow pedal spacing
- Has optimal handlebar spacing
- It has a low 10” step-on height
- Supports a natural stride
- Has smooth momentum
The EX-59 works best for people who weigh under 175 pounds or have a shorter stride–though it does have a weight limit up to 300 pounds.
A heavy-duty 14.3 lb flywheel along with an advanced pulley system gives you an effortless and steady motion. This will help you with comfort and endurance as you train.
Magnetic resistance is the industry’s new standard when it comes to resistance levels—the EX-59 harnesses this no-maintenance technology with ten quiet resistance levels to choose from. So whatever your fitness level may be, you can still find a challenge with this elliptical.
Heart Rate Monitoring
Monitoring your heart rate is a snap with the onboard heart rate monitoring system. The Contact Heart Rate Sensors are located just below the console on the stationary handlebars. Gripping the sensors will initiate the monitor, and your beats per minute will show on the middle display window.
Pedals are low to the ground (10 ¾ inches), so it’s easier to get on and off. The distance between the pedals is closer together, helping reduce stress on your ankles, knees, hips, and back. By mimicking your body’s natural movements, you will experience a more fluid, enjoyable workout.
The heart rate grips and handlebars are within a comfortable reach, so you never have to overextend or stretch to hold them during your workout.
With a maximum user weight of 300 lbs, the EX-59 can generally accommodate most users.
There are ten preset onboard programs to help you meet your fitness goals. Choose from calorie, distance, interval, manual, weight loss presets, and away you go! Just choose a workout option that suits you best.
Having Bluetooth-enabled speakers onboard makes streaming your music or other entertainment easy. Once you pair your device with the speakers, you can take out those earbuds and enjoy easy listening through the integrated console speakers.
This is a basic exercise machine and doesn’t have many bells and whistles. But expect the following:
Integrated tablet holder: Convenient for holding your entertainment device without blocking the console. The rapid charging USB port is close by to keep your device charged while you burn those calories.
Water bottle holder: Water bottle holder for you to stay hydrated while you train.
Easy Assembly: It takes under an hour for most people to assemble and is easy to do.