*TreadmillReviewGuru helps consumers find the best home fitness products. When you buy a product we recommend, we may earn a commission.
Last Updated: April 24, 2023
A treadmill mat is a good idea to protect your treadmill and your floor. If you set your treadmill on the carpet, fibers from the carpet can get into the motor and damage it. And if you set your treadmill on hardwood, it could scratch it. We always recommend placing a mat under your treadmill. Treadmill mats come in different sizes and materials, so we’ve put together this list to help you find the best treadmill mat for your treadmill or other cardio equipment.
Why You Should Trust Us
We’ve been testing and reviewing treadmills and fitness equipment for years. Over the years, we’ve used different gym flooring and mats under treadmills. Our studio also has carpet and hard floors so we know what mats work best for various floor types and machines. You can trust that we’ve compiled this list based on extensive research and experience.
The Best Treadmill Mats Of 2023
- Best Treadmill Mat:Rubber Flooring 4’x6’ Premium Mats
- Best High-End Treadmill Mat: Gorilla Mats Premium Large Exercise Mat
- Best Budget Treadmill Mat: Sunny Health & Fitness Treadmill Mat
- Best Treadmill Mat For Hardwood Floors: GoPlus Thicken Treadmill Mat
- Best Treadmill Mat For Carpet: Sole Treadmill Mat
- Best Treadmill Mat On Amazon: BalanceFrom Heavy Duty Treadmill Mat
- Best Treadmill Mat For Noise Reduction: ProsourceFit Puzzle Exercise Mat
- Best Treadmill Mat For Light Machines: Bowflex Cardio Machine Mat
- Best Treadmill Mat For Heavy Machines: Tractor Supply Horse Stall Mats
Sneak peek of the Best Treadmill Mats:
Our Top Recommended Treadmill Mats
1. Best Treadmill Mat: Rubber Flooring 4’x6’ Premium Mats
As far as value and quality, the Rubber Flooring Premium Mats are our top pick as the best treadmill mat. These mats are made out of 100% recycled rubber. Rubber is our top choice of material to use under a treadmill because it helps absorb sound and impact. Plus, they’re durable. You won’t have to worry about these ripping or breaking down over time.
Rubber Flooring Premium Mats are sold in 4’ by 6’ sizes. So, one mat should fit under most home treadmills including the NordicTrack X32i Incline Trainer. As one of the heavier treadmills we have in our studio, we’re pleased with how Rubber Flooring is able to help protect the subfloors, as well as the X32i when we’re using it.
I really like that the 4’ x 6’ Premium Mats are available in different thicknesses depending on what you need them for. You can purchase a mat in 8mm or ⅜” thickness. Either thickness is helpful for protecting your floor and reducing sound from the motor as well as your foot noise when you’re running on the deck. These mats are also ideal if you want to set your heavy elliptical on them, too. Even though we’re recommending treadmill mats, all kinds of fitness equipment are appropriate to use with the Rubber Flooring Premium Mats. You can also purchase multiple of these mats and use them to cover your entire home gym floor.
- They’re made of rubber to absorb sound and keep your machine and floors in great condition.
- They’re thick, durable, and capable of holding fitness equipment of all sizes.
- They come in 4 x 6 feet sizes.
- You can purchase them in 8mm and 3.8” thicknesses.
- They’re heavy and can be hard to move.
- Size: 4’ x 6’
- Material: Recycled Rubber
- Thickness: 8 mm and ⅜” Options
- Weight: 47 lbs (8mm) and 60 lbs (⅜”)
- Multiple color options
- Warranty: 5 years
2. Best High-End Treadmill Mat: Gorilla Mats Premium Large Exercise Mat
We love this next treadmill mat for a number of reasons. First, it is durable and made with both foam and rubber. This makes it great for absorbing sound and impact, but also pretty easy to move because a single mat weighs just 14 lbs. The Gorilla Mats also come in multiple colors such as black, gray, and blue.
The Premium Large Exercise Mat is 6’ long and 4’ wide so it’s a good size to fit under most treadmills, exercise bikes, and ellipticals. They’re also durable to handle all kinds of workouts so you can get a second one to do some strength training and yoga next to your treadmill.
What makes Gorilla Mats a little different from others is the circular-patterned bottom that is specifically designed to help prevent slipping. This way, if your workout involves high-impact activities, you don’t have to worry about the mat moving from under your feet. Plus, each mat will hold your heavy treadmill in place and prevent scratches and other damage to your floor.
The Premium Large Exercise Mats from Gorilla Mats are pricier than others on this list, but they’re worth it if you want to invest in a well-made mat place under your machine.
- These mats are lightweight, yet durable to use on any type of floor with any type of equipment.
- They come with a lifetime warranty which instills confidence in their durability.
- They are made with both foam and rubber so they’re easier to move and absorb sound.
- The circular patterned design on the bottom helps to prevent slipping.
- These mats are more expensive than other options on this list.
- Size: 4’ x 6’
- Material: Non-Toxic 16P Free Natural Ruber and PER Foam
- Thickness: 6 mm (¼”)
- Weight: 14 lbs
- Available in Multiple Colors
- Soft, Non-Slip Unique Circle Pattern To Prevent Slipping
- Warranty: Lifetime
3. Best Budget Treadmill Mat: Sunny Health & Fitness Treadmill Mat
The Sunny Health & Fitness Treadmill Mat is a nice-looking mat made from high-density PVC. It is smooth while still being non-slip, so it should hold your equipment in place and handle your high-intensity workouts without sliding around or causing you to slip.
This best treadmill mat is a great value pick that comes in four different sizes depending on your needs. The medium size should be sufficient to place under most equipment and to use for most workouts because it is 79” long and 35.5” wide. We love that it comes in a larger size that’s 90.5” long and 39.5” wide. So, if you have a large rower, elliptical, or treadmill, this is a great option to ensure the machine fits properly.
This is a pretty thin and lightweight mat, but it should still help to protect your floors from scratches, as well as your equipment from carpet fibers and debris. If you have a particularly heavy machine we recommend using it on a gym floor, but for most machines, this treadmill mat should be fine on hardwood and carpet. The thickness is designed to protect and hold your equipment steady.
- This is an affordable treadmill mat that comes in 4 different sizes.
- It’s sleek and smooth yet slip-resistant and waterproof.
- It is versatile to use under all kinds of equipment and for working out.
- The high-density PVC material is durable, lightweight, and helpful for protecting your floors.
- It might not be best to place it under heavy equipment.
- Size: 35.5” x 79” (Medium Size)
- Material: High-Density PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride)
- Thickness: 0.16”
- Weight: 3.5 lbs
- Color: Black
- Available In 4 Sizes
- Warranty: 1 year
4. Best Treadmill Mat For Hardwood Floors: GoPlus Thicken Treadmill Mat
This next treadmill mat is a midrange option that’s made with durable PVC. The GoPlus Thicken Treadmill Mat is designed to prevent dents in your carpet and scratches on your wood floors. It also helps to absorb shock when you’re using your treadmill to keep your floors in good condition, no matter how often you choose to run in your home.
The GoPlus comes in three different sizes: 3’ x 6.5’, 4’ x 2’, and 5’ x 2’. The largest size should fit most treadmills, although if you have a large machine you might want to consider a larger treadmill mat. The smaller sizes are best for exercise bikes and narrower machines like rowers and even some smaller climbers and compact ellipticals.
We love the smooth underside that helps protect your floor, and the textured top to keep your equipment from sliding around. If you get water or liquid on the mat, you can simply wipe it up because the GoPlus Treadmill Mat is water-resistant. It will also help to reduce noise from your equipment, as well as vibration. We recommend checking out this treadmill mat if you want a lightweight mat that’s specifically designed to be used under fitness equipment.
- This is a lightweight, yet thick mat that helps to protect your hardwood floors as well as your equipment from damage.
- It comes in various sizes to fit under most fitness equipment.
- The underside is smooth to protect floors, and the top side is textured to prevent slipping.
- It’s great for absorbing shock and lessening the sounds from your treadmill when you’re running.
- You might need to flatten it out with heavy objects before using it for the first time.
- Size: 35” x 78” (3’ x 6.5’)
- Material: PVC
- Thickness: 6 mm
- Weight: 6.5 lbs
- Color: Black
- Comes In Different Sizes
- Non-Slip and Water Resistant
5. Best Treadmill Mat For Carpet: Sole Treadmill Mat
We love fitness equipment from Sole because they’re hearty, durable machines. We know Sole makes well-constructed machines, and we’re pleased that their treadmill mat is also well-made. The Sole Treadmill Mat is ¼” thick and constructed of PVC vinyl and nitrile rubber. When you place a treadmill on it, you don’t have to worry about it sliding or wobbling. It also helps to lessen the noise from your footfalls and the motor by helping to absorb the shock.
We especially like the Sole Treadmill Mat for carpet, however, you can use it on other types of floors like hardwood, tile, and even cement in your basement or garage gym. The smooth underside and textured top make this mat non-slip and protective for both your equipment and your floor.
The Sole Treadmill Mat comes in one size (36.5” x 78”) which is 3 feet wide by 6.5 feet long. This is a pretty standard size that should fit under most treadmills and other equipment like ellipticals, exercise bikes, and shorter rowing machines. It is also a good place to do your mat workouts because it is easy to clean and wipe down after you sweat all over it. This is a comfortable, stable, and effective treadmill mat to use for all kinds of workouts whether they involve equipment or just your body weight.
- This lightweight, PVC mat is good to use on carpet without having to worry about the mat or your machine sliding around.
- The thickness is great for protecting your treadmill’s motor from carpet fibers and your carpet from dents.
- This mat is also designed to protect other flooring types like tile, hardwood, and cement.
- The bottom is smooth and the top is textured to be non-slip.
- It is a little pricy and doesn’t come with an extended warranty.
- Size: 36.5” x 78”
- Material: PVC Vinyl and Nitrile Rubber
- Thickness: ¼”
- Weight: 6.5 lbs
- Color: Black
- Comes In One Size
6. Best Treadmill Mat On Amazon: BalanceFrom Heavy Duty Treadmill Mat
BalanceFrom Heavy Duty Treadmill Mat is a PVC mat that can be used with treadmills and various other equipment. We like it because it’s affordable, water-resistant, and it lays flat once it’s rolled onto the floor. PVC is great for helping to prevent scratches and dents on your hard floors. It will also help keep carpet fibers from getting into your treadmill’s motor.
Even though the BalanceFrom Heavy Duty Treadmill Mat is an inexpensive alternative to some other mats on this list, it isn’t lacking in construction. This treadmill mat has a nice 3/16” thickness to feel comfortable underfoot without being squishy and making your equipment feel unstable on it. It is 3 feet wide by 6.5 feet long. Most equipment should fit on top of it well, but if you have a particularly wide machine, this mat might not be wide enough to place all of the stabilizing feet on.
We really like that the BalanceFrom is durable yet very lightweight. It weighs just 5 lbs making this a great option if you have a storable machine that you pull out of the closet or from the corner of the room to use. You can roll it up when you’re finished and lay it flat every time you need it. You can also leave your equipment on it, without having to worry about damage to your floors.
- This is a well-constructed mat that’s heavy-duty yet lightweight.
- It’s affordable and comes in various sizes.
- It’s waterproof and easy to clean.
- It can hold heavy equipment while helping to protect the machine and your floor.
- It might not be large enough to fit under large equipment.
- Size: 3’ x 6.5’
- Material: PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride)
- Thickness: 3/16”
- Weight: 5 lbs
- Color: Black
- Comes In Various Sizes
- Warranty: 2 years
7. Best Treadmill Mat For Noise Reduction: ProsourceFit Puzzle Exercise Mat
Pieces of interlocking foam might not be what you had in mind for a treadmill mat to use under your machine, but the ProsourceFit Puzzle Exercise Mat is a good choice for a number of reasons. First, the interlocking tiles are ½” thick and made out of high-density foam which is great for absorbing shock and sound, as well as protecting your machine and floor.
We like the ProsourceFit Puzzle Exercise Mat because it is lightweight and easy to move when you need to. It has a seamless design because each tile fits together perfectly like a puzzle. This way you don’t have to worry about any unevenness. This treadmill mat is also affordable and a good bang for your buck considering its quality and size options for the price points.
The smallest size is 24 square feet. This consists of 6 tiles, each measuring 24” x 24”. This size should fit well under most treadmills and other types of fitness equipment. If you need more coverage for your floor and even to cover an entire room for your complete home gym, you can purchase enough tiles to do this. The foam is easy to cut to size to fit perfectly over all types of flooring. We like the cushion and diamond-patterned texture that helps prevent slipping and absorbs the shock that comes when running on your treadmill.
- The ½” thick EVA foam is good for absorbing noise and protecting your floors.
- It is a great value for the amount of floor coverage and quality.
- They fit together seamlessly and can cover a small or large area.
- ProsourceFit includes a lifetime warranty which instills confidence in the construction.
- They might need to be secured to the floor to prevent shifting and coming apart.
- Puzzle Interlocking Design
- Comes in 24 Square Feet (6 Tiles & 12 End Borders)
- Individual Tile Size: 24” x 24”
- Material: High-Density EVA Foam
- Thickness: 1/2”
- Weight: 4.3 lbs
- Colors: Black, Grey, Beige, Blue, and Brown
- Comes In Various Sizes
- Warranty: Lifetime
8. Best Treadmill Mat For Light Machines: Bowflex Cardio Machine Mat
The smallest treadmill mat on this list of best treadmill mats is the Bowflex Cardio Machine Mat. While I don’t recommend setting a large, heavy treadmill on it, this mat is perfect for smaller equipment like exercise bikes, ellipticals, and compact treadmills. Bowflex’s popular Max Trainers fit well on it, too.
The Bowflex Cardio Machine Mat is slim, yet protective to put on all kinds of floors. It has a nice texture that’s smooth, yet effective for keeping your cardio machine in place while you ride, run, row, step, etc. We even recommend it for mat workouts because it’s easy to clean up afterward. All you need to do is wipe it down after your sweat session. It’s also convenient to roll out and roll up on a regular basis because it’s compact and lightweight.
This mat is 4’9” long and 2’11” wide. It comes in one size and it’s a great option if you want a smaller mat to fit under your machine. As you’ve probably noticed with many of the other treadmill mats on this list, most are only available in longer and wider sizes so check this one out if you need something a little more compact.
- This mat is a good size for exercise bikes and compact treadmills and elliptical machines.
- It can be rolled and unrolled easily to use whenever you need it.
- It has a smooth, non-slip texture to keep your equipment in place.
- It is designed to help prevent scratches and damage to your floor.
- This small mat isn’t large enough to put place large treadmills on.
- Size: 2’11”’ x 4’9”
- Material: Composite
- Thickness: 1/8”
- Color: Black
- Comes In One Size
9. Best Treadmill Mat For Heavy Machines: Tractor Supply Horse Stall Mats
Although I’m an equestrian who has been riding horses my entire life, I have to admit that horse stall mats aren’t only meant for horse stalls and pastures. They’re excellent to use under fitness equipment and to cover your entire home gym. These Horse Stall Mats from Tractor Supply are ¾” thick and made with 100% recycled vulcanized rubber.
If you’re looking for a heavy-duty treadmill mat, then your search stops here! These mats aren’t only durable enough to handle 1000+ lb horses and other large animals, but they can handle your large treadmill, too. Some treadmills weigh up to 300 and 400+ lbs so these mats will not only hold them still, but they’ll protect your subfloor from damage.
While the top side is smooth and fairly easy to clean, the bottom has a button-patterned surface that helps keep each mat in place. Each Tractor Supply Horse Stall Mat is 4’ wide by 6’ long and weighs 94 lbs. So, yeah it’s not going anywhere once you lay it down. If you’re concerned about tearing, impact, and noise, don’t be with these mats. The durable rubber is strong so it shouldn’t rip, and great for absorbing shock and noise from you and your machine.
- These mats are heavy and extremely durable to hold large fitness equipment.
- This mat is made of rubber so it’s durable and excellent for absorbing impact and sound from your machine.
- The flat button design on the bottom keeps the mat level while preventing slipping and shifting.
- The ¾” thickness is excellent for protecting your floor and is an incredibly stable surface to place your machine on.
- Each mat weighs 94 lbs so it’s hard to move if you need to frequently.
- Size: 4’ x 6’
- Material: 100% Recycled Vulcanized Rubber
- Thickness: 3/4”
- Weight: 94 lbs
- Color: Black
- Button/Flat Dual-Surface
- Warranty: 5 years
What To Look For In A Treadmill Mat
What you place your treadmill on is just as important as your treadmill, itself. We’ve put together this brief guide to help you pick the best treadmill mat for you.
Treadmill mats come in different sizes and different materials. Before we get into material types and mat thickness, you should consider what you’ll be using the treadmill mat for. Do you need it to use under your large and heavy treadmill? Do you want one that you can roll up easily when you’re done? Are you concerned about your treadmill (or insert other fitness equipment) scratching your wood floors?
We’ve divided this list of best treadmill mats into different categories because every mat is a little different from the next. We recommend different mats for light and heavy machines, as well as use on hardwood and carpeted floors. Factoring in what kind of activity you’re planning on using the treadmill mat for, the equipment you want to place on it, and your floor type will help determine the type of treadmill mat you should purchase.
Treadmill mats are typically made of rubber, EVA foam, or PVC. Rubber is the most durable, however, PVC and EVA foam is lighter in weight and usually easier to move. PVC mats are usually flexible to roll up, too.
Treadmill mats come in all kinds of thicknesses. On our list of best treadmill mats, we have options ranging anywhere from ¾” to ⅛” thick. Thicker mats are usually better for heavier equipment, protecting floors, and absorbing impact and sound from the machine. Thinner mats can be better for stability for lighter machines.
As you might have noticed above, treadmill mats come in different sizes. Most are around 6.5 feet long and 3 feet wide, while others are 6 feet long and 4 feet wide. You’ll want to measure the length and width of the floor stabilizers/feet of your fitness machine to ensure that the mat will fit underneath the base to help prevent damage to your floor and the machine. This is also important to ensure the treadmill stays level and stable.
Finally, treadmill mats are available at various price points. Size, material, and brand tend to dictate the price so it’s important to keep this in mind when choosing a treadmill mat. Treadmill mats can range from as little as $20 up to over $100, so you want to find one that fits in your budget as well as aligns with your goals.
Frequently Asked Questions
What makes a good treadmill mat?
A good treadmill mat is a mat that helps protect your floor from dents and scratches, as well as your treadmill. PVC and rubber treadmill mats are popular and good options to place under your treadmill. Rubber is a bit more durable and great for absorbing shock from heavy equipment, while PVC is lighter and easier to move.
How thick should a mat be under a treadmill?
Depending on the size and weight of your treadmill will determine how thick of a treadmill mat you should purchase. Thicker mats are better for absorbing shock and sound. A thickness of ¼” up to ¾” of an inch is a good range to consider for treadmills mats under most treadmills.
Should I have a mat under my treadmill?
We always recommend placing a mat under a treadmill. The only exception is if you’re using the treadmill on a rubber gym floor. Placing a treadmill on carpet or hard floors can damage the floor and your treadmill so placing a mat underneath can help prevent this.