Last Updated: January 14, 2020
Sole’s R2 is one of our Best Bikes in 2020 and the Best Bike for Injury Recovery. On a recumbent bike you sit lower and reclined, which makes them ideal for anyone with back or balance issues or limited mobility. The wide, cushioned seat and padded backrest enhance the comfort of the Sole R2. The R2 also features a tablet holder with adjustable clip and back-lit LCD display with large, digital numbers. This bike has an easy step-through design that works well for injury recovery, gentle leg strengthening and cardio conditioning.
Who It’s For: Riders who want comfort and easy step-through design on a recumbent bike
The Sole R92 Recumbent bike offers a few features that make it especially comfortable:
- Featuring both a padded backrest and seat, the R92 provides back and lumbar support while riding
- The design works for those who may have a hard time climbing up on an upright bike.
- Recumbent position is ideal for those with mobility issues or recovering from an injury
- There are EKG sensors on the handlebars next to the seat for easy reach. HR metrics will display on the LCD screen.
- Seat is adjustable forward and aft.
- Flat, ergonomic pedals with straps are extra wide and will work with any athletic shoe
- Resistance is Magnetically Generated with 20 Levels
Superior to friction resistance in almost every way — magnetic resistance is quiet, frictionless, and doesn’t cause wear on the flywheel. This is the ideal type of resistance on an indoor bike. The R92 has 20 preset resistance levels so you can always find the same amount of resistance at the same setting.
- Seat is adjustable forward and aft
A sliding lock system under the seat allows it to glide forward and back until you find the right distance from the pedals. A red lever releases the seat and numbered lines help you set it at the right spot each time. The adjustable seat has enough span to accommodate most riders.
- 10” LCD Display is bright and easy to see
A large LCD display in the console is bright and easy to see. Digital numbers are large. The console is wide with fans and speakers at the top and control buttons at the bottom. The screen is white back-lit with black numbers. It took me just a minute to figure out where all the metrics were displayed, but in general the layout is navigable.
- Solid, steel frame with sturdy construction
The R92 is remarkably stable. The wide seat makes you feel like you have plenty of space, but really the bike is only 30 inches wide, so it doesn’t take up much room. You can grab a steel handlebar attached to the rear stabilizer and lift the bike to roll it out of the way when needed.
- Tablet holder
Attached to the top of the console, the tablet holder has an adjustable clip that should hold most phones and tablets securely. It is a nice addition since the screen is rather simple. You can watch a program or read a book on your device while pedalling.
- Padded backrest and cushioned seat
The padded backrest provides good support and the padded seat is wide and cushioned. Also, because you sit behind rather than over the pedals, you can pedal without any knee tension or pain. Just make sure to find the right distance from the pedals. Ideally, you want a gentle bend in the knee at full extension. Too much bend and you’ll put pressure on the knee joint. No bend and you’ll overextend the knee and slide down in your seat.
- Pedal Design includes 2-Degree inward tilt
This is another feature that enhances the comfort of the R92. Since the pedals are tilted 2-degrees inward, you maintain a solid foot connection with the pedal even at the top of the stroke. The 2-degree inward design holds the flat surface of the pedal towards the rider at all times.
- 10 Preset Programs for multiple training options
6 Standard Programs, 2 Custom Programs, and 2 Heart Programs are built in to the console. Standard programs include: Cardio, HIIT, Manual, Hill, Fat Burn, and Strength. Two heart rate programs will sync with the chest strap for accurate heart readings and zone training. You can also manually increase resistance on the console with large buttons on either side.
- Footprint: 50” H x 30” W x 57” L
- Max User Weight: 300 lbs.
- Bike Weight: 134 lbs.
- Bike seat is adjustable forward and aft
- Solid, 20lb Flywheel
- 9.0″ LCD Workout Display
- Tablet Holder on console with adjustable clip
- USB Port for any compatible device
- Bluetooth Enabled
- Fans and speakers in console
- Water Bottle Holders behind seat
- 6 Preset Standard Programs
- 2 Customizable Programs
- 2 Heart Rate Programs
- Chest strap is included for heart rate monitoring
- ECB Resistance levels 1 – 20
- Frame: Lifetime
- Electronics: 3 Years
- Parts: 3 Years
- Labor: 1 Year
In-depth Review of Sole SB700
The Sole R92 has an aluminum-coated steel frame, a 20-pound flywheel, and a 10″ LCD display. The bike weighs 152 pounds and will support up to 300 weight capacity. Sole pays attention to biomechanics, so the R92 has been designed to be both sturdy and comfortable, especially for riders who may be recovering from an injury or have tender joints.
A 20 pound flywheel is just about right for this machine. It develops fluid motion, but isn’t too heavy for riders sitting behind the wheel rather than over the top of it. The flywheel and drive system work cohesively for smooth pedal motion.
The seat and backrest are both padded. The backrest is tapered with more padding and support in the lumbar area and less behind the shoulders so have free movement through the shoulders.
The screen itself is 9” but the console is nice and large with easy to reach buttons. Manual arrow buttons on either side of the screen control resistance and you can select any of the 10 preloaded programs right on the console. There is an audio port to plug your device into the console speakers. The screen is not a touchscreen, but the buttons are a closer reach anyway. Vertical handlebars flank the console on either side for support and stability.
- There is a fan! Set at the top of the console, it might be a bit high for some users, depending on height, but at least it’s there as a nice option for air flow.
- Tablet/Phone holder mounted on the top of the console adds another viewing option. An adjustable clip on the top will hold any personal device securely. You can watch or listen to your favorite program while the bike computer tracks your stats for you.
- There are two water bottle holders behind the seat. These are a bit awkward to reach since they are behind the seat, but at least you have the option to keep water close.
The R92 is a great option for exercisers who want to sit low and reclined. It has a step-through design with a narrow footprint in the center so it is easy to get on and off. The appropriately weighted flywheel, quiet drive system and large console makes riding the R92 enjoyable and comfortable.
20 levels of resistance are electrically calibrated and adjusted via the console buttons. You can find any level of resistance for your workout that day. Resistance is quiet and smooth.
There are 10 preprogrammed workouts including 6 standard programs, 2 custom programs, and 2 heart rate programs.
There is no subscription that accompanies the R92. But the tablet holder makes it so you can use any app you would like while riding.
Storage / Folding
The R92 doesn’t fold, but there are front wheels so you can tip it and roll it forward when needed. The total footprint is: 50” H x 30” W x 57” L.