*TreadmillReviewGuru helps consumers find the best home fitness products. When you buy a product we recommend, we may earn a commission.
Last Updated: March 15, 2022
The Schwinn 270 Recumbent home exercise bike has what you need for an intense and enjoyable workout session. The Bluetooth connectivity and media (tablet, phone, or book) storage makes staying connected a breeze. We love the excellent console design and the ability to download workout data.
With 25 resistance levels and 29 onboard workout programs, you’ll be hard-pressed to get bored. A weight capacity of 300 pounds and the ability to store up to four user profiles means almost everyone in your family can get fit with ease.
Schwinn has been a household name in biking for over 100 years and is now owned by Nautilus. We think this is a marriage made in heaven and that Schwinn/Nautilus has put out some excellent home exercise bikes.
In this spec review, we’ll dig deeper into the features and benefits of the Schwinn 270 Recumbent exercise bike.
Exercise Bike Award: Best Affordable Recumbent Bike
The Schwinn 270 bike has been featured on our list of best recumbent exercise bikes and has received the award for “Best Affordable Recumbent Exercise Bike”. The budget-friendly price point, along with the function and features you get with this bike make it a great deal and bang for your buck.
Who It’s For: People who want a low-impact and enjoyable fitness experience on a low-price, high-quality piece of cardio equipment.
The Schwinn 270 recumbent bike is for:
- Those who need a joint and back-friendly workout.
- Those who want easy Bluetooth connectivity and the ability to connect to the RideSocial app and the Schwinn Trainer app so you never have to ride alone.
- Those who need a quality cardio machine with a 10-year warranty on a budget.
- 25 levels of resistance
- Variety makes up the best workouts, and with 25 levels of resistance, you can customize your training no matter your fitness level. Beginners and stationary bike veterans alike can find the proper resistance to get a well-rounded calorie burn.
- 29 pre-programmed workouts
- As important as the variety with resistance levels is, that same variety is excellent for your overall workouts. With 29 pre-programmed onboard activities to choose from, you can always keep things fresh.
- Inertia drive system with a perimeter weighted flywheel
- One of the most appealing features of this bike is the flywheel. It’s a high-speed, high-inertia system which means this bike starts up quickly and will give you a smooth, consistent, quiet workout.
- Heart rate monitoring
- The grip heart rate is ergonomically placed to be comfortable and convenient to hold on to. This heart rate monitor can more accurately help the bike determine how many calories you have burned. On-handlebar grips and telemetry enabled for chest strap capability.
- The in-console speakers will save you from setting up a stereo nearby or needing AirPods. The iPod®/MP3 player input port and Bluetooth/USB data transfer to Schwinn Connect™ or MyFitnessPal make your entertainment and statistics experience aboard the Schwinn 270 extremely versatile.
- Media shelf
- Schwinn knows that not everyone exercises the same, and that also goes for what entertainment you choose. The media shelf allows you to place a phone, tablet, or book in front of the upper screen on the console.
- A three-speed in-console fan will cool you during your calorie burn and save you from needing to set up a fan.
- Water bottle holder
- The water bottle holder is conveniently located to the seat’s left, making it easy for you to stay hydrated while exercising.
- Transport wheels
- Don’t worry about moving this bike when you need to stash it out of the way. Onboard transport wheels on the rear make it a breeze to lift the bike’s front and move it yourself.
- Maximum User Weight: 300 lbs
- The 300-pound weight limit on this 85 lbs bike gives you an idea of how sturdy it is.
- Single, strong frame
- Aluminum slider seat-rail system
- Solid transport wheels
- Padded seat bottom
- Seat level adjust
- Vented seatback
- Ergonomically positioned handles included pulse sensors for heart rate information.
- DualTrack™ two blue backlit LCD window system
- Bluetooth and USB connectivity to Nautilus® Connect and MyFitnessPal to download workout data
- Nine heart rate programs, each with custom settings.
- Two fitness test programs that can help you track your progress
- Four family-friendly user profiles to store personal information and workout data
- One recovery test program to measure how quickly your heart rate recovers
- Quick start capability
- Workout data includes:
- Revolutions Per Minute
- Heart Rate
- Perimeter weighted flywheel for smoothness and quiet use
- Water bottle holder
- Weighs 86 pounds
- Height: 49.9 inches
- Width: 27.7 inches
- Length: 64 inches
- 10-Year Frame Warranty
- 2-Year Mechanical Warranty
- 1-year Electrical Warranty
- 90-day Labor Warranty
In-depth Review of Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike
This is a solid, sturdy bike featuring two integrated levelers and sizable mid-frame support. No matter what speed or intensity you choose, the Schwinn 270 remains steady. The main frame, flywheel, and seat base all come preassembled. The total weight is 86 lbs, so not terrible for moving when necessary.
You’ll find one set of handlebars on either side of the seat, each with a heart rate monitor grip. Two other handles flank the lower part of the console to give versatility in riding styles.
Comfortable and roomy. Reviewers say larger individuals will fit fine. The seatback is vented to help keep you cool.
The DualTrack™ two-blue backlit LCD window system allows you to watch up to 13 different display feedbacks, including time, calories burned, RPMs, and distance.
At the top of the console, you’ll find the larger of the two backlit LCD screens where you can choose and monitor your workouts and stats. The media tray sits just below the main screen to accommodate a phone, small tablet, or book. Below the media tray is the second backlit LCD screen offering more options for stat tracking.
On either side of this smaller screen, you will find the resistance level up/down buttons. This makes changing resistance easy no matter which hand you use. Below the smaller screen you will find the interface panel for everything from start to workout choices. Below the interface panel is the 3-speed fan in the middle with the two onboard speakers on either side.
Dual, in-console speakers with an MP3 input port.
A media shelf is onboard just below the main screen for a tablet, phone, or book. Depending on the size of your tablet, it may cover the screen. Left of the seat and behind the left handle, you’ll find a place for your water bottle to help keep you hydrated during your workout.
Benefits of Recumbent Riding
Viewed as less challenging than upright bikes, riders on recumbent bikes still work several essential muscle groups.
- Strengthen Heart and Lungs (Cardiovascular system): The heart is a muscle, so any exercise that increases heart rate strengthens the heart. Aerobic exercise also improves lung capacity, which can decrease heart rate and blood pressure.
- Develop Balanced Leg Muscles: The four large muscles that make up the front of your thigh are called “quadriceps.” (Quad meaning four.) These muscles are essential in healthy knee function. Recumbent riding engages and strengthens the quads gently without creating tension or pressure on the knee joint. Muscles lining the back of the thigh work with the front of the leg to make a full pedal stroke. Calf and shin muscles are also engaged and help with the motion and stability of the ankle.
Thanks to the inertia drive system, there is no friction keeping the noise level to a minimum.
The front wheels make it easy to roll the Schwinn 270 when you need to move it around. At 86 pounds, it’s not too heavy to handle alone.