*TreadmillReviewGuru helps consumers find the best home fitness products. When you buy a product we recommend, we may earn a commission.
Last Updated: January 5, 2023
The Sole E55 elliptical is here to prove that awesome things come in small packages. Measuring 27” x 71”, the E55 has the smallest footprint of any Sole elliptical lineup but has a remarkable 375 lbs weight capacity and 20” stride. And being small doesn’t mean Sole skimped on accessories and components.
The smooth and quiet E55 comes with a host of impressive features, including an adjustable digital screen display, Bluetooth connectivity, a USB charging port, a table/computer holder, cooling fans, and excellent ergonomics. With 20 levels of incline resistance, this elliptical provides a perfect workout for novice or intermediate athletes.
We like that the price includes free shipping and a 30-day money-back guarantee. In this spec review, we’ll dig in and see if the Sole E55 is right for you.
Who It’s For: People who want a low-impact and interactive fitness experience on a quality elliptical with a small footprint and high weight capacity.
The E55 is designed for users who are:
- Larger and average height (or taller) exercisers looking for a low-impact workout.
- People who train at home and don’t want to disturb others.
- Exercisers who enjoy the flexibility of integrating their own technology with their exercise equipment.
The console sits hip to chest level with the tablet holder at the very top. Below it, you will find the cooling fan in the center flanked by two speakers. The data and messaging window is in the center of the console. This is where you will see information like Pulse, Time, Level, Pace, Distance, Calories, Program name, Lap, Rpm, Watts, and Segment time.
At the bottom of the console, you have three rows of control buttons and a jack for audio in and headphones. The USB charging port on the upper right side is a great convenience if using a tablet or phone.
The E55 is compact, quiet, and powerful with its 20-pound flywheel and silent magnetic resistance. Perfect for novice and intermediate athletes, but advanced athletes may prefer a model with a heavier flywheel.
Incline & Resistance
You’ll find a lot of variation with the E55’s 20 different levels of resistance and incline. The computer-controlled power incline is controlled by buttons on the console. The swing arms will automatically adjust via the incline motor when using one of the onboard workout programs.
The incline levels make your workouts harder and allow for targeting different muscle groups. This adds variety to your training to keep your fitness progressing and boredom levels low.
Heart Rate Monitoring
Monitoring your heart rate is easy with a built-in heart rate monitoring system. The Contact Heart Rate Sensors on the stationary handlebars can be grasped to monitor your pulse. Or you can wear a chest strap transmitter, which will start the heart icon blinking. You can check the Pulse Window for your heart rate, and the HR bar graph will show where you are in relation to the projected heart rate maximum.
No worrying about having enough space on the pedals or finding a comfortable position! These pedals were designed by physical therapists to maximize your comfort as you burn calories.
Varied grip options allow you to target different upper body muscles. Changing your grip also ensures you can find a comfortable position as you exercise. You can also adjust the resistance and incline levels from the moving handlebars.
Accommodating most riders, the E55 offers a user weight capacity of 375 pounds. This speaks to the solid design and heavy-duty, high-grade steel used in the rugged frame. Sole also engineered a 20” stride length on this machine which is a foot shorter than the competition. Meaning you get the same stride length as a standard elliptical with a smaller footprint.
A 20” stride is considered the “gold standard” on home ellipticals. Studies show that machines with this stride comfortably handle all but the shortest and tallest people. People of about average height (or a little taller) will get a comfortable stride on the E55.
The two onboard speakers let you comfortably listen to your choice of entertainment, which can be plugged in through the audio jack at the bottom of the console. Any low-level audio source device can be used. Acceptable devices would be an aMP3 player, iPod, portable radio, CD player, or even a TV or computer audio signal.
The E55 has five different programs to give you a variety of workouts. These programs have preset work-level profiles for achieving different goals. The five programs are; Hill, Fat Burn, Cardio, Strength, High-Intensity Interval Training.
Sole delivers convenience with onboard Bluetooth connectivity, allowing it to interact with selected phones or tablet computers via the Sole Fitness App. Simply download the free Sole Fitness App from your Google Play or Apple app store, and follow the instructions.
You can view current workout data in three different display screens on your phone or tablet and easily switch back and forth from the workout display to your email or social media accounts via icons on the display screen. When you’re done, the data will automatically save to the built-in personal calendar.
The Sole Fitness App also allows your workout data to be synced to one of many fitness cloud sites, including iHealth, MapMyFitness, Record, or Fitbit.
Transport Wheels: The front-mounted transport wheels and the rear lift bar make it easy to move the E55 when storing it is necessary.
Chest Strap: Comes with a chest strap to ensure you can get accurate heart rate readings while training.
Integrated tablet holder: Conveniently located above the console, the tablet holder doesn’t block your view of the LCD screen when watching Hulu on your tablet or reading a book.
Cooling fan: there’s a fan included in the center of the console to help keep you comfortable during your workouts.
- Delivers a smooth, quiet experience with whisper-quiet technology.
- The gear ratio and 20-pound flywheel provide a smooth, quiet ride
- Lifetime guarantee on the rugged, heavy-duty steel frame.
- Rated for users up to 375 lbs
- 214 pounds
- Footprint- 27” x 71”
- Comfortable Ergonomic foot pedals designed by physical therapists to keep you working out longer
- Smaller size, higher quality elliptical
- 20 different levels to suit all fitness levels
- Seamless integration of technology
- Bluetooth Audio Speakers – listen to your choice of entertainment from your smart devices through the speakers on the console.
- USB Port – Charge your smart devices while working out
- Integrated tablet holder – gives you the freedom to use your smart devices to watch shows or follow your workout routines
- Power Incline technology exclusive to SOLE.
- Several pre-set workouts for athletes of all levels
- Perfect if you have a small space for training.
- Whisper quiet drive system provides a smooth, quiet motion
- Ergonomically designed foot pedals eliminate pain and discomfort
- Very smooth and quiet experience
- Heavy-duty steel frame backed by a lifetime guarantee
- Rated for users up to 375 lbs
- Lifetime Warranty on frame
- Labor- 2 years
- Cosmetic items- 90 days
- All other components are five years